Thursday, March 29, 2007

fat kitty with a little head

Flora was growing into a fairly well-adjusted kitty, and I was growing into a fairly well-adjusted sober adult, and we lived happily together in my beautiful studio apartment. But she really wanted a little brother.

I began searching for a brother for Flora, but I knew that he would have to be a very special kind of kitty if Flora and he were to live amicably. He needed to be brave enough to not be put off by Flora’s own shyness, and he needed to be sweet enough not to scare her.

I was also looking for a non-black kitty, since I already had a black one, until I was informed by a woman at a cat shelter that no one wants the black kitties because they are plain, and that plain black kitties go un-adopted more than any other kind of cat. Flora’s getting a plain, black brother.

Huckleberry had been removed from a decrepit house where he, and 22 others, had suffered neglect and abuse. His tail had been broken and would always be short. I saw his picture on the Humane Society website and knew he was the one for us.

His adoption summary lauded him as a fun-loving, easy-going kitten but it turned out to be slightly incorrect. Huckleberry is a heedless, crazy, delinquent who is also very needy and appears to suffer from OCD and attachment disorder. He never lets me sleep or do my homework. He fights with his sister.

We love him so much we can’t imagine life without our plain black, ¾ tail, fat kitty with a little head.

Get your plain black, lovable delinquent here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was reading that thinking the next kitty would be called "Fauna."

Thanks for the morning glory tips! I'm relieved to know they need a little something more; it's not *just* that I'm incompetent.

Oh, and I found your blog on Technorati under the botany tags. It's a great way to see what other people are writing about botany.

Here: http://www.technorati.com/posts/tag/botany